Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bring Back My Bonnie To Me

So, my Bonneville, which broke down in Cortez, CO on the way home from the AMA conference in Keystone, CO, was finally repaired and ready to come home. Last night Deb & I drove up to Cortez, spent the night at our favorite Super 8, then got up early this morning to pick up my bike at Handlebars in Durango.

We were there almost before they opened the doors. The folks there were really nice and very helpful. We even looked at highway pegs, unfortunately there weren't any available to fit my bike. The woman who works there was very friendly and said she was interested in learning how to ride but wasn't quite ready. We chatted about the taking the MSF course, first bikes, Woman Rider Now and it's section for new and potential riders. I ended up giving her my email address and offering to forward information.

It was a bit chilly as we headed back toward Cortez on our way home. As I got my wheels under me and a few miles down the road, I was feeling better and better. We took a brief bio and check in break in Cortez. Then off we went, it was a great ride. We turned off towards Kayente and Four Corners. Earlier we had discussed stopping at the Four Corners monument since we were right there. For some reason, it wasn't what I expected, for some reason I thought it would be somewhere in a city, or something like that. Instead, it was in a little cul de sac surrounded by dozens of native american booths, most of which were vacant since the tourist season is pretty much over. Of course, the low number of people visiting the monument worked in our favor. We cruised a few booths, took some pictures and were back on the road again.

It is often said that on the reservation, speed limits are strictly enforced but I've never seen too many on the road and those I have seen were usually occupied by other things, accidents, road construction, etc. Well, I'm feeling really good on my bike, enjoying the ride when I looked in my mirror and saw one of the reservation officers come flying around Deb with his lights flashing. Now I know that I am going about 20 mph over the posted limit, so I am mumbling a few choice words, expecting the officer to pull in behind me and signal me to pull over. Obviously he had more important fish to fry because he went flying past me too. Several miles down the road was a terrible accident that appeared to be a small sports car which had rolled over.

When we arrived in Kayente we had lunch and I asked Deb to spell me a bit and ride to the next gas stop in Tuba City. On the road again for another 70 miles or so. When we got to the first gas station in Tuba City Deb pulled in and exclaimed "I have got to get off this bike." It seems that the Bonneville just doesn't fit her well and the seat, well, the seat is less than comfy. We had already planned to stay the night in Tuba City and head home in the morning, neither of us got much sleep the night before and were exhausted.

Word to the wise, if you stop in Tuba City, be safe and eat at Burger King, McDonalds or Taco Bell. The place we ate dinner was not the best in the world. I was tired of sandwiches so I ordered meatloaf, but they were out of that, so then I went for the lasagna. I swear, I have never seen, much less been served a loaf of lasagna. If it wouldn't have made a scene, I would have taken a picture. Unfortunately, it didn't taste any better than it looked.

We also took a brief drive around Tuba City. The economy here is so bad, many of the houses are boarded up and those that aren't barely look fit for human occupants. I swear, I don't know how these people survive.

Tomorrow it will be on towards home.

No comments:

Post a Comment