Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Skewed Religious Ideas

Yesterday I'm on my way to work and I noticed the bumper sticker on the truck in front of me. "God bless our troops" was the first line.  I'm good with that, our soldiers need all the prayers and blessings they can get.  It was the second line that disturbed me "Especially the snipers".  WTF?  God does not support or bless killing.

Over the centuries, way too many wars, murders and crimes have been committed in the name of religion.  God doesn't "hate" anyone, he doesn't condone murder, war or abuse in any way.  Nor does he support those who instigate those things in his name.  However, God does, in his infinite mercy and grace forgive those who use him and his name to oppress the innocent, harm the weak and wage war based on hate.

Please stop using God to justify your mean spirited feelings.  If you have negative feelings for a group of people, be honest, name it and claim it and STOP justifying it with religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment