Thursday, December 30, 2010

Time Flies With Retail Help

It seems each year time passes faster and faster.  Yesterday, it seems, our children were newborns or toddlers.  Today they are graduating high school, college students, working professionals, and parents.

Each year we bemoan the retail ploys of promoting the holidays earlier and earlier each year.  Halloween decorations in September, Christmas decorations and paraphernalia  in October.  This is getting ridiculous. What are they thinking?

Ok, I know, this is nothing new, so where am I going with this?  Yesterday, December 29, mind you, I'm in the grocery store.  Of course there is the typical after Christmas clearance of holiday items which I bypass but when I get to the register, what to my wondering eyes does appear?  EASTER CANDY!  117 Days before the big day when the proverbial bunny comes hopping, they are selling Easter candy!

I wouldn't have been terribly surprised to see Valentine candy, but Easter?  As I ponder this insanity, it occurs to me that this candy is either left over from last year (ewww) or made so early that by the time the holiday finally arrives it's going to be pretty old (again, ewww).

Commercial retailers, please take notice.  I know time is passing faster each year.  I know the holidays are coming sooner and sooner each year.  I do NOT need you to help me along with getting older.

Maybe in this time where governments are legislating whether or not fast food chains can put toys in kid's meals we can get them to pass a law that prohibits marketing holiday candy more than 30 days prior to the holiday itself.  I don't know about anyone else but it would also help my waistline if those things were not not available 117 days before the holiday.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, and you're spot on! Retailers bring everything on the calendar forward. As soon as one shop starts selling Easter goods, the rest follow suit so as to not miss trade!

    ReplyDelete