Monday, March 14, 2011

Holy Cow! Time Really Does Fly!

I just realized it had been over 2 months since I updated my blog and a lot of things have happened.  So, here is a number of comments and updates on lots of topics.

Sons of Anarchy - when this show first started, I really tried to like it but just couldn't.  Then one night when the insomnia bug was running rampant, there happened to be a marathon SOA on.  So, I guess the secret, for me anyway, was to be able to watch several episodes back to back to keep the tread going in my mind.  Now, I admit it I am hooked and have watched all the seasons that are available from Netflix and eager for the new season to start.  It's like the Sopranos on bikes!

Lunch with Friends - was finally able to have lunch with a couple of friends, one of which has been a ship passing in the night for many months.  Another was a acquaintance of someone I met a few years ago.  It was nice to get to spend some time with both friends catching up.

Also got dozens of birthday wishes from friends near and far.  I am so truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life.

Speaking of wonderful people, Southwest Motor Maids ROCK!  Motorcycling has brought some truly incredible people into my life.  In January a group of Motor Maids and significant others have spent a weekend in Las Vegas full of fun, friendship and riding. The ride was awesome, kudos to those who organized. The ride back to Phoenix as a bit chilly and quite windy, in fact as we were crossing the bridge across the Hoover Dam the wind actually blew my tank bag off my bike.

Good news/bad news - son-in-law get job in the field he actually studied, graphic design, .....wait for it...in UTAH!  So he, Amanda and my darling little grandson, will be moving to Utah.  I guess it could be worse, it's only about 500 miles.

Another long motorcycle weekend in Tombstone, AZ hard to believe we have been here this long and we had never been to Tombstone.  The winds going down I-10 were outrageous, one gust blew Debbie and Clara clear into the next lane, which fortunately was vacant.  We got there and met with up with the rest of the group and had an awesome time.  One of the waitresses in the saloon told us her grandmother was a Motor Maid so she took special care of us.  We knew the weather was going to turn cold but who knew it was going to snow in Tombstone?  On Sunday morning we woke to a few inches of snow on the ground and bikes, so we decided to stay an extra day and do all the tourist things.

Oh, and I have also joined the ranks of the unemployed, it took me by surprise and I was terribly disappointed because I really loved my job and the people I worked with.  However, as the saying goes, when one door closes, another door opens.  While it saddens me to leave one chapter behind, I am eager to see what the next chapter will bring.  I believe the "door" has already opened.

One would think that being unemployed, I would have time to do all kinds of things but it seems like I haven't had a chance to take a breath.  Running here and there, working on the bike, taking care of Ian while his folks are looking for an apartment in Utah, working on the bike, meeting with the outplacement agency, doctor appointments for me and Ian,  working on the bike, more errands.  And of course the weather is really getting nice for riding :-)

When you get laid off, even if you know it was for financial reasons and not personal, there comes a time when you do take it personal.  Then you get it out of your system and move on. Many people we know have been unemployed for a long time and it has cause a great deal of hardship on people all across the country.  I am fortunate that being out of work for a while will not ruin us financially. On top of that, Deb supports me in finding what I want to do and not just taking a job. Now I am looking forward to the next professional chapter in my life.  Stay tuned for more details.

2 comments:

  1. Hey BJ, what are you riding these days? Rice burner or homeland hawg? Curious minds want to know. My dad's favorite bike of all time was his beloved KZR which he foolishly some years back. I had a Yamaha XTP 250 in college. Nothing since. Lots of stuff here in Japan though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently I'm riding a 2007 Honda VTX1300C, it's my first cruiser and I'm really loving it.

    ReplyDelete