Thursday, August 20, 2009

AMA Conference Day 2

Yesterday was registration after a ride of about 200 miles of interstate that is just too beautiful to be an interstate highway. I-70 through Colorado is amazing. After registering we were starving but the only thing we could get was pizza by the slice at a little place in the basement of a building called Pizza 101 and seats 3. Guess it was a good thing it was only Scuter, Deb & I at that point. I will say that it was darn good pizza.

We found Susan, a little later we found Kim and Rose who had been storm chasing across the Midwest. Allison and Lori pulled in after arriving in Denver and picking up their rentals. We gathered for a dinner ride into Dillon. Laughed a lot and gabbed about times old and new. Leaving was a bit of confusion. When you're in a group of riders all going the same direction but different places, at night they all kinda look alike. I thought Deb was behind me, she thought I was behind her and with so many motorcycles in the dark we lost each other. So we both stopped at different gas stations. By the time I got back to the hotel Deb had already been there and when I didn't pull in a few minutes behind her, thought I might have gotten lost and went back to look for me. Finally ended up at the same place at the same time and found places to park the bikes.

This morning we went over to the vendor area and to the seminar on making your bike fit you. One of the speakers was Athena, owner of vagabond motors. Great ideas on modifying bikes from one of the top female custom bike builders in the country.

Browsing the vendor area I ran into Peg from Boston. Just a couple of weeks ago I found out that Peg had made several trips to Waveland MS, my home town to help after Katrina. So we chatted about that and our mutual friend Woody who recently passed away. Later that afternoon I found other Violators, Marjorie, Darryl, Amy, Loocie, Sue, and Gin. It was like a family reunion.

This evening there was a barn dance at the stables where we were served bbq, beans, corn on the cob and cornbread. The band was pretty decent. Several of us, myself included tried out hand at roping hay bale steers, others tried tossing horse shoes. It was a lot of fun.

Back in the room, a bit sunburned, content and all is right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment